Keeping your estate agent on side!!
When your house is on the market, good communication between you and your estate agent is really important. Without communication, there can be no trust, and without trust, there is no worthwhile relationship.
Here are my top five communication tips when you’re trying to sell your home, to ensure you keep your agent onside, and doing the best they can for you:
- Pre-empt any issues by agreeing a communication schedule before you launch your home to the market. This is over and above any calls to arrange viewings, or to give feedback afterwards; this plan outlines your expectations and so your agent has some chance of meeting them. This is something we do as standard at Helmores but not all agents do. We find if we have a plan agreed in advance, there are clear expectations right from the start.
- Keep your communication positive – if your agent feels that they are being told off, or held to account, for a lack of interest in your property, they will be increasingly reluctant to pick up the phone to you. If however, your tone is encouraging, friendly and supportive, they will look forward to speaking to you, and they will be only too happy to have a chat to you, even if there is nothing concrete to report.
- If you’re in town, near your agent’s office, pop in. If they offer to make you a cup of tea, even better. Take the time to really get to know the staff in the office, and you and your house will be at the forefront of their mind when they next receive a suitable enquiry.
- Ask for advice: lots of sellers do this, but then they either don’t listen to any suggestions, or else they argue with it. If you genuinely listen and show that you value any input that might improve the level of interest in your property, you will find your agent much more confident about discussing the issues with you.
- Share your plans with them: if your agent knows how important your move is, perhaps to be closer to a special relative, to give yourself more financial security, or to realise your long-held dream of living in the country, they will be able to genuinely identify with your aspirations. By taking them into your confidence, you are showing that you trust them, and the resulting enhanced relationship will allow them to do the best possible job of selling your home for you.
We’re lucky enough to call some of our clients friends, and our friends clients, and our coffee pot is always on at Property Canvas!!